Saturday, July 19, 2008

Highlights & Passion

Here are a few highlights of this past week:

- I learned how to do laundry, Basotho style. They think it's funny that we use machines for everything because machines don't do a very good job of cleaning.

- I was offered to come back to a house next week for a meal of mealy-pop (kind of like gritz) and some type of meat which we soon found out consisted of intestines. We set the date for Monday.

- One of the teams that is here, prayed over a man who was demon possessed. He kept saying over and over "Your power is no good." They could literally feel the spiritual warfare and kept praying and praying. Finally this man who had had a stroke and could not speak very well was speaking clearly and saying "Your power is so good!" and was telling people about how he was healed. It was like a modern day Bible story.

- My ministry group taught some young adults how to do the hokey-pokey and the electric slide. They then taught us some clapping games and a traditional dance. We danced for most of the afternoon, then teaching them how to do the "shopping cart," "sprinkler," and swing dancing.

- We got the opportunity to talk with people about worshiping their ancestors. I was late for lunch for the first time out on ministry because we couldn't stop talking to these people about Jesus. It was a wonderful morning and we went back in the afternoon to spend more time with them.

- Last night, we had a swing dancing party, and I learned to dance and learned some really cool moves. It was so much fun and I think I'm a little bit addicted to dancing now.

- I've gone running almost every day after ministry since last Thursday at an altitude of 6,000 ft above sea level. It feels so good to get in shape!

- I've realized my passion for going to college and discipling people. I have a new passion for working with youth. I feel like it is my calling to disciple youth. This is an amazing thing because I have not felt passionate about something or like God has been calling me to dedicate my life to something since I have given my life to him. I really can't wait to see what else he will reveal to me and what will come out of these things that I know he wants me to dedicate my life to. When I left for South Africa, I was thinking about studying Literature and International Relations. Oh how much things have changed! I am so excited to come home and live out what God has been showing me!

It's been a good week! Thank you all for your prayers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hannah,
How encouraging to read your blog. It appears that to serve God you answered His call to South Africa far from your "real life" here in America to experience real life in South Africa cross culturally. Away from job, bills, brothers, family and friends you were able to experience the quiet of Africa in order to listen and hear the Lord as He spoke to your heart. He has captured your heart as everyday is focused on Him. I miss you and want you to come home but more I want you to experience every last morsel of what He wants for you in Africa. Here's hoping you will find time to keep us up to date with what is happening in a world so far away.
Dad